Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Story...

So, the story begins Sunday morning...

I got up first, to make R's coffee and start some laundry. The kitties came out of their hiding places for their early morning loveys. After loving them up a bit I started to walk away and noticed Max limping. When I stared, he stopped walking and looked at me. I tried to encourage him to walk some more so I could see if he really was limping or if I just imagined it. He wouldn't move...I tried throwing his favorite toy and...nothing. So, I just picked him up. Before I even got him all the way up in my arms he began to cry. This is VERY unusual behavior for our little attention whore. I quickly put him down and he tried to walk some more. He seemed to move mostly fine with only a bit of limping, so I tried to convince myself he was fine, maybe his leg fell asleep? Could a cat's leg fall asleep like ours? I went to google to find out (the answer is not really and if so, it only lasts a few minutes).

In the meantime, R got up, so I told her to take a look at Max. She was immediately concerned and told me that cats didn't really have the same problem we do with our body parts falling asleep. So, she used her "google-fu" to find us a vet that was open on Sundays and was quickly on the phone. We jumped in the shower, put Max in a carrier and off we rushed.

At the vet, they told us that there was definitely swelling and they couldn't tell, easily, what was wrong. It could be broken, but it also could be dislocated, or there could be an infection. Their x-ray machine was out of commission but would be ok in the morning, so they sent us home with antibiotics and an appointment for the next day.

It was MLK Day so I had the day off, but R had to work. We decided that it would be better if she went ahead to work so that she would be distracted. I dropped her off at work and then Max and I made our way to his early morning appointment. The vet asked if I wanted to stay while they x-rayed and, as I had my knitting, I decided it would be easier.

About 45 minutes later the vet came out and gave me the bad news. It was definitely a break. A break in the top of the femur, the part that goes into the joint for the ball and socket. A break all the way across the top. He showed me the x-ray and it looked HORRIBLE! See the picture? His break was right about where the blue line near the head is. It was broken all the way across it.


Then he told me there were really only two options, both surgical. The first they couldn't even do at this clinic. It was a VERY expensive surgery and would include pins and such. The second, a Femoral Head and Neck Ostectomy, could be done at the clinic and was much less expensive. This procedure exposes the head section of the femur bone (the ball of the ball and socket joint), and then the head and part of the bone below the head is removed using a small saw. After which, they put in a small disc to act as the "head" so that there is no "bone to bone" crunchy crunchy.

So, only surgical options. Which meant...gulp...more money. We had already spent (for both days) around $500. Now, Max is totally worth it, but we have been experiencing pretty rocky finances of late so it was all we could do to scrape up the money for the two appointments. The vet said he would get me an estimate and I just about cried when I saw that it was going to be over $1,000. I told him that we would have to call back and schedule, but first were going to have to come up with a way to find that money. So, home again and this time with some anti-inflammatory drugs for Max.

I took Max home and called R. Then started budgeting and thinking about loans and such. A co-worker of R's suggested a wonderful site where you can ask for donations for different things. Honestly I felt a bit uncomfortable asking anyone for money. But it was for Max and R did most of the work. And the amazing thing that happened next? People totally came through for Max!!! Within less than 24 hours, we had the money for his surgery! I was shocked, as I know that most of our friends and family are in similar, if not worse, financial woes than we are!

So, we called the vet and made an appointment for his surgery. He is in surgery right now. I will post again when we have news.

Thank you ALL so much!!! For your positive thoughts, your donations and your love!

No comments: